One of the most impactful things I observed during our trip to Uganda was the profound difference between the children in a Compassion child sponsorship program compared to other children. Compassion-assisted children are connected with a loving, church-based program that provides:
- educational opportunities
- health care and supplemental nutrition
- opportunities for safe recreation
- opportunities to learn about important life skills
- hope and a sense of confidence
- most important of all, the child has the opportunity to hear about Jesus and be encouraged to develop a lifelong relationship with God
I met this child in the slums of Kampala. He’s not part of our child sponsorship program.
I met these children at Compassion’s program. There’s a significant difference between the two photos. The children in our child development centers still lead difficult lives but they have a sense of hope and purpose.
Everywhere we went, people would tell us things like:
- Compassion is doing great work in our country.
- Do you know my sponsor? If so, tell her I said thank you.
- I love my sponsor.
- I would not be the person I am today without Compassion.
All of the bloggers on the trip have arrived safely home, but you can still follow along since they’re still processing the experience and writing about it.
Check out the Uganda Blog Trip page  and click through to the blogs to read what they’re saying.